Friday 8 November 2013

" ANY PLACE I HANG MY HAT IS HOME" ANOTHER FINE SONG FROM "ST. LOUIS WOMAN"

 " Any Place I Hang My Hat is Home."  Another Fine Song from " St. Louis Woman"  Picking up the story, Della  Green is temporarily living with the violent saloon -keeper Bigelow Brown. Despite her current relationship, Dell is a independent spirit who eventually falls in love with Little Augie.. In thIs song, Della  explains her philosophy of life which is do whatever you like and move on " When the spirit moves me." The music and the lyrics capture the free and easy spirit of Della Green to act  as she proclaims" When the spirit moves me."
Audra McDonald, Broadway's current performing diva, brings the relaxed and confident personality of Della Greene to her performance. Audra will also be performing other songs from this show as she has a great love and affinity for both Arlen and Mercer's theatrical creations.
As is my custom, I also  like to present the creators singing their own songs .Here is Johnny Mercer, the Southern " savant" , singing in his inimitable relaxed style. Mercer was intimately familiar with how both black and white citizens in St. Louis fashioned their own unique colloquial vernacular like " Howdy do me, watch me smile"  Fare thee well me, after a while." .He creates an authentic regional atmosphere that permeates the entire score and as one lyric line states " Thank you kindly ( Johnny Mercer -your lyrics) suits me fine ! " 

NOTE: There was a 1998 revival of St. Louis Woman  by NYC City Center Encores ! that resulted in a fine recording on Mercury Records featuring Vanessa Williams as Della Green.


Audra Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2__AEcVZC0A

Mercer Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATqG9dOpAT0

No comments:

Post a Comment