Thursday 21 January 2016

TONY BENNETT -LOST " BETWEEN THE DEVIL AND THE DEEP BLUE SEA."

Tony Bennett-Lost -" BetweenThe Devil and The Deep Blue Sea."

For the 1931 Cotton Club " Rhythmania", Arlen and Ted Koehler wrote a song about someone who doesn't know whether to fish or cut bait when it comes to a love relationship.  The lyrics tell of " The well-known runaround you're giving me" " I forgive you because I can't forget you" and finally " I should hate you but I guess I love, You've got me in between  the devil and the deep blue sea."
   
Originally sung as an up tempo number by the dashing Cab Calloway, this Tony Bennett version features  a more relaxed and slightly rueful style as well as the seldom heard introductory verse setting the scene for the lament to follow. Given Bennnett's positive outlook on life, the song is not as gloomy as the words themselves might suggest.

https://youtu.be/zWfK07vMjXU

1 comment: